Sunday, October 7, 2007

My Photos

If I had to photograph pictures of Chicago, I would focus on the aspects that Chicago is less known for and what tourists would less know about. Many non-Chicagoans are familiar or know of Chicago's skyline and sport teams but not of the neighborhoods itself. The neighborhoods in Chicago are what gives Chicago that authentic feeling of a "melting pot"; where all the races of the world collide. Unfortunately Chicago is also one of the most race segregated cities in America. Truely, that melting pot, in a sense, isn't a melting pot at all. Still some of the photos I would take shall glorify what Chicago is all about; their culturally enhanced neighborhoods. I would take photos of Devon street, where many Middle Eastern cultures, ranging from Pakistani to Indian, come together to establish storefronts and community enhancements. Another neighborhood of mixed culture but yet same race, is Argyle. This small strip is predominately a Vietnamese and Chinese cultured area with a variety of storefronts and community programs. Both these areas represents why Chicago is so diverse as a city.
Another aspect of Chicago I would like to capture is its public housing. There are many public housing areas in Chicago but most of them are on the Southside. I know of one that is placed right on Diversey and Damen. When I first saw the "Diversey Projects," I thought it was an odd place to have housing projects there because the surrounding neighborhoods were different. I would take pictures of this to show the inconsistent borders of Chicago relating to economic housing.
Also, I would take pictures of the surrounding suburbs because they too, are a part of Chicago. It shows the history of Chicago after World War 2, where many Caucasians left the city (especially veterans) to settle in cheap houses around the city. This was known as "white flight." Also my pictures of these suburbs will show how some suburbs are mixing races.

No comments: