Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Metro Chicago Immigration Factbook

I chose to talk about the immigration issue in Chicago. They had charts and graphs that showed a steady increase of immigrants moving to Chicago since the 1980s. The decline of immigration to Chicago started back in early 1900sprobably due to the Great Depression. What I found interesting in this article is the talk about "port of entry." I've never heard of the term so I decided to look further into it. It is the neighborhood or region of the city where immigration is more common than other places. Apparently, Edgewater is the leading neighborhood in immigration in 2000. I live in West Rogers Park but come by Edgewater a lot. I really never notice an immigrant population in this neighborhood. The statistics say it's around 3,000 immigrants that live there since 2000. Other neighborhoods that follow it is Albany Park , Union Square, and West Ridge. Overall, it's interesting to find these port of entries in Chicago because it can definitely tell you where dense or sparse concentrations of immigrants are present.

No comments: