Sunday, November 18, 2007

Racial Resurgence

I have always liked the diversity displayed in Chicago. I went to high school at Northside Prep and the student body and faculty there was quite diverse. It seems, however, that there is a racial resurgence recently. Most people have heard of the Jena 6 case and because Chicago is so diverse I would like to touch on this important topic. I think it is so ugly and terrible to be so demeaning and inconsiderate to another human being, despite whatever differences in skin color or whatever. And to use nooses to intimidate these minority individuals is so disrespectful and scary. The persons who commit these terrible acts must have terrible hate in their hearts to do something so extreme. And a lot of cases are popping up after this Jena 6 case. Some may just be copy cats carried out by ignorant teenagers who do not know truly the symbolic nature of the scenario, but other cases are real and violent in their very nature. I'm not sure of which specific cases or whether any took place in our very own Chicago, but minorities are coming to work to find nooses hanging over their things. I've read an African American police chief deputy being a victim, a sailor, etc. I thought that these acts of ignorances were for the most part gone (although I know it still exists, and racism may never actually go away entirely) and that intelligent beings were replacing them, but this resurgence in racism is proving otherwise. I really hope Chicagoans are not so ignorant to sink to intimidating blacks and other minorities. This city is so diverse that such acts would have an enormous impact, not to say that such acts wouldn't have of similar impact in any other city.

No comments: